Friday, June 11, 2010

2010 Burger Shootout II: East Coast

After 2009's LA-Chicago Shootout and this April's Texas Shootout, fans have complained that there was a dearth of representation from the burger boys of the east. And thus your voice is heard: over a period of 10 days, I have trekked along I-95 in search of the good stack. And here are my rankings:

1 (tied). Shorty's 32 (New York, NY)
1 (tied). Stella (Boston, MA)
3. The Breslin (New York, NY)
4. DBGB (New York, NY)
5. Goodburger (New York, NY)
6. Five Napkin (New York, NY)
7. Audubon Circle (Boston, MA)
8. Tunnicliff's Tavern (Washington, DC)
9. uburger (Boston, MA)

Goodburger stands out with its charred aromatics and assertion to be green and certifiably organic. The lamb burger at The Breslin has basically eliminated my heretofore bias against non-beef burgers. Shorty's 32 and DBGB show how to do serious food in a laid-back environment. Due to time constraints I wasn't able to revisit The Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien or Mr. Bartley's (who was closed on the day I visited, on June 1, allegedly so that he could spend more time coaching and prepping Elena Kagan, a Mr. B regular, for the upcoming confirmation hearings), or try out Shake Shack which my friends in the City have raved time and again. Nevertheless, I am glad to report that the burger scene in the east coast is alive and well and, with the gastro-pub movement thriving (The Breslin, Spotted Pig and DBGB being good examples), even better days shall come.

4 comments:

  1. 9 burgers in 10 days? ur insane!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...that's a lot of burgers, even in 10 days?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. val - yeah, I don't believe it either. I'm definitely on a bad streak, since I did do 8 in 4 days last year... :P

    ReplyDelete