Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nessun dorma, at the Bird's Nest

The National Stadium, home to the drama-filled Beijing Olympics and an architectural masterpiece, plays host tonight to a different kind of dramatic and architectural device: Puccini's Turandot, staged by famed Chinese film director Zhang Yimou. When I have more time I shall write a more detailed review of the performance. But for now, here are some photos:

The stage, spanning across the 400m and 1500m starting points.


Getting ready for Act I.


A stadium of opera goers.

O giovinetto.


Tenor Dai Yuqiang (戴玉強) gave a solid performance of Nessun dorma.


The modified finale.

Cosi comanda Turandot.


The whole evening was marred by bad acoustics, but I found a winning alternative with good visuals and better acoustics -- at least in Act I: Montserrat Caballe's stirring and heart-melting rendition of Liu's signature aria...on my iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment